Invisalign uses a series of clear, removable and comfortable aligners that are practically invisible. The aligners are made with 3D computer imaging technology. You wear each set of aligners for about 2 weeks, removing them only to eat, drink, and clean your teeth.
As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move – little by little, week by week – until they have straightened to their final position. Invisalign can help to restore your confidence, giving you the smile you have always dreamed of.
What is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a revolutionary orthodontic system. It uses removable clear plastic aligners to move the teeth into position. Treatment time will typically last around 12-18 months, but this will depend on your circumstances.
For people who want a discreet orthodontic treatment with the option to remove the aligners, Invisalign is an amazing system! Over 8 million people have straightened their teeth with Invisalign – could you be next?
Why choose Invisalign?
Invisalign offers many key advantages for straightening your teeth:
- Removable aligners fit your lifestyle
- Nearly invisible and very discreet
- Fewer trips to our office for adjustments
- Don’t put your life on hold
- Suitable for most orthodontic cases
We are a Diamond Plus Invisalign Provider.
How does Invisalign work?
Your Invisalign journey starts with a consultation with Dr. Olsen or Dr. French. During this consultation, you will have photographs taken, x-rays (if recent ones can’t be obtained from your dentist), and in many cases digital 3D scans of your mouth to determine how the treatment may be suited to your individual case.
With the support of a Treatment Coordinator, Dr. Olsen and Dr. French will provide you with a complete treatment plan with a full breakdown of pricing, which will help you make an informed decision.
If you decide to go ahead, one of our team members will use a digital intraoral scanner to take a 3D model of your teeth, without the need for any impressions with messy goo! These will be used to create your series of aligners. Once your trays are ready, you can start wearing them every day.
For Invisalign to be successful, you need to wear your aligner trays for 20-22 hours per day. We will give you instructions on how to care for them, and for your smile, during treatment. Every few weeks you will change to the next tray in the series, allowing your teeth to slowly move into place.
You may need to visit our office every six weeks or so, to allow us to check on the progress of your treatment, but we will tell you the exact schedule during your appointment. At the end of the treatment plan, you will stop wearing your aligners in the day and switch to a retainer. This will only need to be worn at night to keep your teeth in the correct position.
Who can use Invisalign?
Invisalign is suitable for most people; even those with severe orthodontic alignment problems. It can treat common problems such as crowding, gaps, misalignment and overbite/underbite. This system is also suitable for the top and bottom arches.
It is popular with men and women, adults and teens. Anyone who is looking for a discreet and flexible orthodontic treatment will be well suited to Invisalign. The most common reason that patients turn to Invisalign is the clear aligners. They are particularly popular with adults who feel that traditional fixed braces would be unsuitable in their lifestyle.
Can Invisalign work for everyone?
Invisalign is not the only orthodontic solution for everyone, and isn’t always the recommended treatment. The good news is that we have other options available, like traditional metal braces or clear braces, and our Orthodontists will be able to guide you through your treatment options once they’ve met with you for a consultation.
There are a few disadvantages to the Invisalign system that you should be aware of before you start treatment.
- Invisalign aligners need to be worn for 20-22 hours per day. This means you can take them out for meals and to brush your teeth, but you need to remember to wear them the rest of the time. If you are forgetful, this might not be the best system for you.
- Since the aligners are removable, they are more prone to getting lost. If you misplace an Invisalign aligner, you will have to wait for a replacement. This will delay your treatment. If you often misplace things, you may want to take that into consideration when deciding on Invisalign.
- Like all orthodontic treatment, wearing Invisalign requires extra dental care. To help protect your teeth from bacteria and decay throughout the treatment, you will need to brush your teeth and wash your aligners after every meal. If that’s a routine you may not be able to uphold, you may want to discuss that with our team.
What are the first steps?
If you’re ready to start your Invisalign journey with Authentic Orthodontics, get in touch with our team today. We have 3 locations in Calgary and Okotoks.
To book, simply choose a location near you and complete the form to request an appointment. A member of our team will be in touch as soon as possible!